Friday, April 15, 2011

The Three "R's"

Once upon a time the three "R's" stood for Reading, 'Riting and 'Rithmatic ..... but not anymore.  Now you will find that they stand for something that makes a lot more sense - Reduce, Repair, and Recycle!  It really is something that I have always believed in - especially when it comes to vintage clothing and jewelry.  There is nothing more satisfying to me than finding an old, broken, beaded necklace from 50 years ago and taking it apart, cleaning it and transforming it into something totally new.  It brings out my creative side which just seems to not get used as often as I would like it to.  It also allows me to use my imagination and I find that can be extremely satisfying after spending so many hours on the computer.  Lately I have tried to balance my life more evenly by including more creative time along with all the mundane daily tasks that can make the day fly by and truly bog me down.

One example is my "timeless bracelet".  I have always collected vintage watches.  Having an overflowing cigar box full of them - I decided to combine them with some old bracelets and hence--my "timeless bracelet" came to be.  I usually try to place at least one working watch (usually the middle one) in the finished product but not always.  It makes a nice gift for anyone that appreciates all things vintage.  I have also sold a few of them on ebay and on Etsy http://www.etsy.com/your/listings?ref=si_acc.   However, once I spend the time creating something so special I find that I get more satisfaction out of giving them to friends as gifts as opposed to selling them......go figure!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers